What Else Can I Do to Help Myself
There are a number of simple ways of relieving the worst hayfever symptoms during the season:
- Take the annual holiday at the height of the pollen season in an area relatively free from pollen, perhaps by the sea. This can avoid the worst of the problem.
- Avoid direct contact with pollens. Do not pick flowers or have them indoors.
- Air bed linen in the early mornings when the pollen count is at its lowest and keep the bedroom windows closed to prevent the wind blowing the pollen in.
- Stay indoors with the doors and windows closed when there is a lot of pollen in the air. This can reduce exposure to pollen by a factor of 10,000.
- When driving keep car windows closed. Ideally choose a car with air-conditioning and a pollen filter.
- Smear a little Lavender Cream in the nostrils to give an extra barrier to trap pollen grains.
- Take at least 2 grams of Vitamin C daily.
- Use an Ioniser in the bedroom.
- Avoid going out in the early evening and at mid-morning when the pollen count is at its peak.
- If you are making a journey, consider checking the pollen count on the television weather forecast.
- Wear wraparound sunglasses, and even a face-mask if venturing out of doors when the pollen count is high.
These simple, practical steps can be of great help in relieving the most severe of symptoms.
© D.M.Harrison 2008